Friday, February 4, 2011

Backyard Chickens

I am actually talking about chicken. I was very hesitant about pursuing this as the idea of cutting off a chicken's head was just too much for me. Then I found out I was not alone. Many counties, even in city limits allow you to raise chickens, including Tampa. Once you are completely set up, you can raise you own chickens for virtually nothing. Once you build a chicken coop, you will only have to feed them, and if you are like me, pay a butcher a couple bucks to take care of the "dirty work". In the meantime, you have a fresh steady supply of eggs. For food, you can fulfill most of their needs with making your own worm bin, and then throw in kitchen scraps or let them "free range" in your yard. If you do your homework, and eat as much chicken as we do, you can save a significant amount off your grocery bill.

No yard or chickens illegal in your area? Look into quail. They are a delicacy and also an save you a lot of money on your grocery bill. They provide eggs, just like chicken, only their eggs are smaller (about 3-4 equal a chicken egg).

No comments:

Post a Comment